Stafford Junction Visit to Summit Point
- Last Updated: Monday, 24 July 2017 08:39
- Written by Chip Taylor
It’s time again for our guests from Stafford Junction to join us at Summit Point! This year, they will be attending on Saturday, August 12, 2017 (at Porschefest) from 9:00am to 3:00pm. The last four years have been the most popular field trip the Stafford Junction kids take every year. This is entirely due to the generosity of volunteers who showed our guests around the track, the skid pad rides (a favorite with the kids), lunch, seeing actual race cars, and the parade laps. Thanks to all who have helped make the last four years very successful.
To volunteer, contact me at communityservice@
Even if you are not attending the DE as a driver, please volunteer, everyone is welcome and non-drivers are encouraged to help out and see another side of PCA Potomac and meet members.
This year, we are expecting 3 chaperones and 11 boys and girls between 10 and 16 years old. When they arrive, we’ll have a short meet-and-greet in the front classroom to introduce volunteers and kids, discuss the day’s activities, and cover safety issues. For any volunteers scheduled for the track session at 9:00, I’ll stay with the kids in the lunchroom until you can come by and meet them. We plan to have pre-arranged time blocks in the morning for the skid pad rides thanks to Yani, Bob, George, Paul and other skid pad volunteers.
During the track lunch break, we’ll treat them and their volunteers to lunch in the classroom so volunteers can spend lunch in the classroom with our guests. During the second half of the lunch break, we’ll take our guests out for Parade Laps in the volunteer’s cars. If anyone has a single seat track car or your car is on the “loud side” and not appropriate during lunch hour, you may use your tow vehicle.
As with last year, we will selectively pair volunteers so each can back up the other to avoid missing their run sessions. I’ll also be available to cover for anyone while they’re on track.
If you will be at the track with your family and they can watch your guest while you are on track, pairing with another volunteer won’t be necessary, let me know. I will still try pair you with another volunteer as a backup.
We need one volunteer per guest to ensure we can cover everyone for their scheduled run sessions. If you know someone you would like to partner with who drives in a different run group, let me know as that would make my job of pairing volunteers easier.
We also need 3 volunteers from 10:30am-2:00pm on Saturday to help with lunch prep, setup, and cleanup. If you can also help us with Porschefest Happy Hour and dinner setup, that would be a bonus help for us, but, not required.
Friday and Saturday mornings at the track, I’ll make an announcement at the Driver’s and Instructor’s meetings about the Stafford Junction visit and I’ll have informational handouts for volunteers available next to the skip pad sign sheets on the front table.
From their website:
“Stafford Junction is a faith-based nonprofit organization that serves high-need children, youth and their families residing in Stafford County. Our mission is to transform lives through faith and action. We partner with residents, local churches, service agencies, and businesses to connect lives, build relationships, and foster understanding across socio-economic lines. Partners share the love of God by meeting the physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual needs of those we serve.”
For more information about Stafford Junction and their mission, see http://www.
The attached info sheet includes the tentative schedule and helpful information.
Thanks for your generosity and I’m confident you’ll enjoy the experience helping out as much as I enjoy it.
Cheers, Chip Taylor
Community Service Chair
Additional Details for Volunteers:
Thanks from PCA Potomac for your generosity helping the kids from Stafford Junction. It’s your donation of time and many others behind the scenes who are making this successful for the third consecutive year. Feedback from Stafford Junction is this event is the kid’s favorite field trip.
Here is some information you should find useful during the Stafford Junction visit:
- Tentative Schedule (will be tweaked after track schedule is released):
- 9:00am, Stafford Junction arrives
- 9:15 – 9:30am, welcome in the front classroom. We’ll introduce kids to their volunteers and hand out info sheets and maps and discuss the activities planned
- 9:30 – 10:20am, free time for volunteers to take their guest around the paddock and to various viewing bleachers around the track
- 10:20am, ensure your guest is brought back to the skid pad staging area where their buses will be waiting to take them down to the skid pad
- 10:25 – 11:22am, skid pad rides for all guests
- 11:30 – 11:45am, volunteers collect their guests from the returning buses, bathroom breaks
- 11:50am, volunteers stage their cars on the false grid for the Parade Laps
- 12:00 noon, volunteers and guests get in the cars
- 12:10 – 12:30pm, volunteers take their guests on Parade Laps
- 12:35 – 1:00pm, lunch for all guests and volunteers
- 1:00 – 1:30pm, free time for volunteers and guests
- 1:30pm – 2:38pm, TBD
- 2:45pm, guests and volunteers meet in front of the winner’s stage for a group photo
- 3:00pm, Stafford Junction departs
- Aside from the scheduled skid pad sessions, lunch, the Parade Laps, and a car show-and-tell (TBD), you will have free time with your guest to show them your car, take them to track vantage points, and anything else you think might interest them.
- Lunch will be provided for Stafford Junction staff/kids and all volunteers in the Classroom
- Skid pad sessions will be hosted by the skid pad instructors in their cars. The kids will be transported down to the skid pad using the Stafford Junction vans. Please ensure your guest is brought to the skid pad staging area in front of the ambulances by the time shown above. After the skid pad session, the kids will be brought back to the classroom where you can collect them.
- My cell is 757-650-4347. Text me your cell number so I can reach you if necessary and call me during the day if you have questions or need help. Thanks again for your help and enjoy the time with your guest.